Guatemala is a Central American country, bordered by Mexico to the north and west, Belize to the northeast, the Pacific Ocean to the southwest, the Caribbean to the east, with Honduras and El Salvador to the southeast. The president of Guatemala is democratically elected as both the head of state, and the head of government. Guatemala City is the capital and the currency is the Quetzal (GTQ). The official language is Spanish. Guatemala has seen both economic growth and democratic elections bringing stability to the region. In 1996 peace agreements ended the civil war that had lasted for many years. These agreements boosted the atmosphere for the return of foreign investments. Fruits, vegetables, coffee and sugar have become major exports. Tourism is becoming a major source of income for Guatemala.
- TYPE OF COMPANY: Corporation
- COMPANY LAW: Guatemalan Commercial Code
- SUFFIX TO DENOTE LIMITED LIABILITY: Sociedad Anonima (S.A.)
- DIRECTORS: A minimum of two of any residency or nationality, corporate bodies allowed – we can provide. A legal representative in Guatemala is required – we can provide
- SECRETARY: Optional
- SHAREHOLDERS: A minimum of two is required. They can be of any residency/nationality and either a natural person or corporate bodies – we can provide
- CLASSES OF SHARE: Registered or Bearer
- CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS: GTQ 5,000
- OWNERSHIP: 100% Foreign ownership allowed
- TIME TO INCORPORATE: 7 – 14 days
- REGISTERED OFFICE: Required in Guatemala – we can provide
- ANNUAL RETURN: No
- ACCOUNTS: Yes
- DISCLOSURE: No
- TAXATION: None on income sourced outside Guatemala
- GOVERNMENT LICENCE FEE: N/A
- DOUBLE TAXATION TREATIES: None
- LANGUAGE OF DOCUMENTATION: Spanish with certified English translation
If you would like further information on setting up a company in Guatemala or the formation of a Guatemala company or other Guatemalan corporate entities or require professional advice relating to taxation or the structuring and requirements of a Guatemalan company, please contact us. We can also provide advice on establishing a subsidiary, joint venture or foreign company to carry on business in Guatemala.
We can provide a wide range of support and administration services, bank introductions, nominee directors, nominee shareholders, virtual offices, accountancy and legal services. We can also advise on compliance with all the regulatory and statutory requirements.