The Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg is a landlocked central European country, bordered by Belgium to the west, Germany to the east, and France to the south. It is a member of the EU, NATO, OECD, UN and Benelux. The capital is Luxembourg City, and the currency is the Euro. The official languages of Luxembourg are Luxembourgish, French, and German. Luxembourgish is the language commonly spoken by the locals, German and French is most commonly spoken in the business community. Luxembourg has a stable high income economy that takes advantage of its geographical location next to France, Belgium and Germany, who are some of the largest economies in Europe. Foreign owned banks account for almost a third of the gross domestic product, and even during the worldwide financial crisis Luxembourg managed to avoid major problems due to the strength of their financial services, and low levels of public debt. The country has one of the highest standards of living of any in the world. Renowned for its banking secrecy, it has now adopted OECD standards on exchange of information. It is the second largest investment fund centre after the USA, it is the most important private banking sector in the EU and the leading centre for reinsurance companies. It has a well-established and highly regarded banking and financial services sector that is a major contributor to its economy.
- TYPE OF COMPANY: Limited Liability Company (Societe a Responsabilite Limitee)*
- COMPANY LAW: Commercial Companies Law 1915 (as amended)
- SUFFIX TO DENOTE LIMITED LIABILITY: S.a.r.l.
- DIRECTORS: Minimum of one of any residency or nationality can be natural persons or corporate entities – we can provide
- SECRETARY: No
- SHAREHOLDERS: Minimum of one of any residency or nationality can be natural persons or corporate entities – we can provide
- CLASSES OF SHARE: Registered
- CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimum authorised share capital of € 12,500 fully paid up
- OWNERSHIP: 100% Foreign ownership allowed
- TIME TO INCORPORATE: 7 days
- REGISTERED OFFICE: Required in Luxembourg – we can provide
- ANNUAL RETURN: No
- ACCOUNTS: Yes
- DISCLOSURE: Yes
- TAXATION: Yes
- GOVERNMENT LICENCE FEE: N/A
- DOUBLE TAXATION TREATIES: Several
- LANGUAGE OF DOCUMENTATION: Either French or German with a certified English translation
*The 1990 Societe de Participation Financiere (Soparfi) is a normally taxed European company, subject to full taxation and is fully protected and subject to the provisions of Luxembourg’s double tax treaties. Luxembourg has however managed to conform to the European Commission Directives on dividends and capital gains in such a way that the Luxembourg Soparfi is one of the most efficient holding companies in Europe.Taxable holding companies may also carry out commercial, financial, and/or industrial activities. In the case of a Soparfi Trading company, a trading authorisation or license (delivered by the Luxembourg Ministère des Classes Moyennes) is necessary – please contact our offices for further information.
If you would like further information on setting up a company in Luxembourg or the formation of a Luxembourg company or other Luxembourg corporate entities or require professional advice relating to taxation or the structuring and requirements of a Luxembourg company, please contact us. We can also provide advice on establishing a subsidiary, joint venture or foreign company to carry on business in Luxembourg.
We can provide a wide range of support and administration services, bank introductions, nominee directors, nominee shareholders, virtual offices, accountancy and legal services. We can also advise on compliance with all the regulatory and statutory requirements.