Belize (formerly British Honduras) is located on the Caribbean seaboard of Central America, bounded by Mexico to the north and Guatemala to the West and South. The administrative capital is Belmopan but the largest city is Belize City. The official language is English, Spanish is widely spoken. Its currency is the Belize Dollar. Belize law is sourced from English Common Law, supplemented by local legislation. The court system is similar to that in England and contract and commercial law is also modelled on English law. Belize has a long history of stability and is a parliamentary democracy, recognising Queen Elizabeth II as the head of state and who is represented by a Governor General. It achieved self-rule in 1981, is a member of the British Commonwealth, the United Nations and the Non Aligned Movement. In addition to the offshore finance industry the economy is mainly driven by agriculture, tourism and construction.
- TYPE OF COMPANY: International Business Company (IBC)
- COMPANY LAW: The International Business Companies Act 1990 (as amended)
- SUFFIX TO DENOTE LIMITED LIABILITY: Limited or any internationally recognised suffix
- DIRECTORS: Minimum one who can be of any residency or nationality and either natural persons or corporate bodies – we can provide
- SECRETARY: Not required
- SHAREHOLDERS: Minimum one shareholder who can be of any residency/nationality and either natural persons or corporate bodies – we can provide
- CLASSES OF SHARE: Registered or Bearer
- CAPITAL REQUIREMENTS: Minimum US$1
- OWNERSHIP: 100% Foreign ownership allowed
- TIME TO INCORPORATE: 1 – 2 days
- REGISTERED OFFICE: Required in Belize – we can provide
- ANNUAL RETURN: No
- ACCOUNTS: No
- DISCLOSURE: No
- TAXATION: No
- GOVERNMENT LICENCE FEE: From US$100 depending on authorised capital
- DOUBLE TAXATION TREATIES: None
- LANGUAGE OF DOCUMENTATION: English
If you would like further information on setting up a company in Belize or the formation of a Belize company or other Belize corporate entities or require professional advice relating to taxation or the structuring and requirements of a Belize company, please contact us. We can also provide advice on establishing a subsidiary, joint venture or foreign company to carry on business in Belize.
We can provide a wide range of support and administration services, bank introductions, nominee directors, nominee shareholders, virtual offices, accountancy and legal services. We can also advise on compliance with all the regulatory and statutory requirements.